Thursday, March 17, 2011

...learning how to "do" curly hair...

Today my friend Kia came over for a play date and to let me practice/play with her daughter M's beautiful hair. Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement!



Here is what her hair looked like afterwards. I did 6 french braids in the front, and 4 regular braids in the back. We then put all the braids in a pony tail. In retrospect I should have started on top, and also done smaller sections in the back. For it being the first time I braided curly curly hair, I think it turned out pretty well. I was going to do the corn-row kind of braid where the braid is visible on top. Unfortunately my fingers just couldn't quite do it yet, so I opted for a few french braids instead, until my fingers get a bit more nimble.

My take-home lessons:
-use LOTS of moisturizer/detangler
-detangle/moisturize in sections, and start at the tips
-get a rat-tailed comb to do parts (I used a regular detangling comb, and in addition was a little afraid of hurting sweet M, so the parts I made weren't as perfect as I would have liked to make them)
-make smaller sections. In the end it will look neater, and will be easier to keep untangled
-braid as tightly as you possibly can!
-I will need to grow out at least one fingernail on each hand just a little to make corn-rowing easier
-Being able to finish off a braid without a rubberband, just by twirling the curl, is TOTALLY AWESOME!
-plan for time. M did an awesome job being patient with me for the 2 hrs it took me. She watched a movie, had some snack, and read. Good girl!

I know it will probably be 1-2 years before we even bring our daughter home... but I like to be prepared! I want "hair time" to be special, and I think I am going to have a lot of fun doing our daughter's hair. I want to get good at it, because I want her to feel good about her beautiful naturally curly hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment